Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Group 3 Individual Post

Question 2

The comments on the video seem mostly male oriented. They tend to favor the idea and joke about how beer has been helping UGLY people get laid since 1845, and how the man in the video needs more beer than that. A woman commented on the video and asked "how much beer does a girl need to drink to find him attractive?" I find this interesting because how often do you hear a girl say that? Women are hardly ever heard commenting on the amount of drinks they must consume to find someone attractive. I think there are different reasons why each gender drinks and goes out. Although there are exceptions to every argument, men tend to be more sexual beings. They’ve had a successful night if they found a girl to bring home with them. In response to the comment about how beer has helped ugly people get laid, I think that’s the individuals personal opinion and it doesn’t mean it’s correct. Every person has a different idea of beauty. Somebody might not be the most attractive, but that doesn’t mean they are ugly. Beauty can be defined by their personality, behaviors, thoughts, feelings, way of life, ambitions, etc. Beauty is not something that can be defined just by appearance. Men make women out to be these objects that always have to look their best, while the man can be un-showered, unshaven and in sweats and that’s supposed to be acceptable. It is unfair to put the opposite gender on a higher pedestal then the one you’ve put your own gender on. If you have to rely on drinking to find a person attractive, then you shouldn’t be with the person.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with the statement that beauty is defined by more than just their features on the outside. You may get to know the most beautiful person on the outside, but on the inside they are not the nicest person and that can change how you feel about their appearance. I also like how you pointed out that men do not have to upkeep their appearance like it is expected of women too. Its an unfair stereotype and this commercial contributes to that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the comment about how women rarely drink to find someone more attractive interesting. Though I'm sure it happens, it's less known by women and the double-standard that exists in our culture for what women should look like when they go out, opposed to men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find your views on the comment, "how much beer does a girl need to drink to find him attractive?" very interesting and totally accurate. How often do you ever here this statement? I know I have never, but I have heard the statement from a guy. Which leads me to your point on beauty is defined more than whats on the outside. I completely agree, beauty is on the inside and outside, including personalities and views. Furthermore, its stressfull to have such a high standard to live up to. I'll admit, I am a sweatpants and tee shirt kind of girl, why can't this be acceptable as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the comment about women drinking beer to find men attractive very interesting. I've never looked at the situation like that before. This commercial is extremely offensive to women, and it is especially offensive to "ugly" people. I feel as if this advertisement could drive people away from this type of beer because of the offensiveness of the ad. Therefore, I think this advertisement is very ineffective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your opinion. This ad shows what the beauty is for men. In pop culture, male typically consider that the appearance is the important definition of the beauty. The ad is really good at providing this current concept to persuade the male audience.

    ReplyDelete